Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Summertime Dreams

It is a well-known fact for anyone who knows my husband and I... we cannot save a dime. Seriously. I am somewhat ashamed but I know we are not alone. There are many families and couples who are in the same boat.

I am fortunate to work at a place that offers an annual bonus called profit-sharing. I was also fortunate enough to realize early on that my workplace was not going to be receiving one this year. This bonus is important to me for one major reason: it funds my family's annual camping trip.

Up until Christmas, I had been wondering what we were going to do. Knowing full well we are bad at saving, I wrestled with the thought of telling our boys we wouldn't be able to go this year. No matter how I looked at it, it wasn't a good outcome... and I knew my husband and I wouldn't have as good a summer as we have been lucky enough to have over the past several years by going on our annual trip.

So when my mother-in-law generously gave us cash for Christmas, a light bulb went on, and I suggested to my husband saving it for summer camping. He was on board. Great, one third of the way there, now what?

Then over December and January, and partway into this month, the odd request for a cake would trickle through and as soon as the client happily picked up their cake and payment was made, I was running to hide the earnings and count up the new total.

I was thrilled last weekend to tell my husband we were just a little bit away from our goal. I am still marvelling at how we have been steadfast at saving this cash. And make no mistake, he's been dropping the odd $20 into the jar too. However, I have my cakes to thank for it... without them, we would be having a campout no further than our backyard, which is fine and well but just not the same! Now that I am done tooting our horns over here, (YAY US! lol), let's talk cake!

Chances are, if you are reading this, it's because you are a Facebook friend of mine and have likely already seen the cakes, but I have to show the highlights!



 
 
I LOVE playing with fondant. Love it! Loathe cleaning up after playing with it though! :)  It is like reverting into a little kid and playing with play-doh... awesome!
 
 
I wasn't as thrilled with Dora (yes, it is supposed to be Dora!) as I was with Kwazi (from Octonauts), but I learned a valuable lesson here. I pieced Dora together on the cake, and Kwazi on the table. Clearly, I need to do the latter from now on.
 
 
I have some ideas in mind for St. Patty's Day and Easter, so stay tuned and stay sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment