Friday, December 26, 2014

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

December was such a busy month overall, with Christmas, but when you add a few cake orders to the mix, it is even busier! I loved every minute of it! How was your Christmas? Was Santa good to you and yours? Were you able to spend time with loved ones? I was so lucky to be around my three favourite people!

My husband walked away a very happy man... he received a Bluetooth speaker, and something called a Chillsner, among other things, but I can't take credit for the idea, my sister-in-law suggested it at Thanksgiving. Still a brilliant idea. But the best gift I gave him was A Year of Dates. As you know, I am always perusing Pinterest, and I love the "25 Low-Cost Date Ideas" pins (or similar). So about a month and a half ago, I clicked on a pin which brought me here. I fell in love with her idea of a Year of Dates, and while browsing her amazing site, I came across, what I feel is a total gold mine, Friday We're in Love. WOW! I was so excited and even though I didn't want to share this amazing find, I did talk to a few friends about it. I got to work right away, and made my list of dates for the year. Making the envelopes was a little time-consuming, but so fun. It felt like I had this secret, and it was so inspiring, browsing Camille and Jacob's blog. I had to write to her and tell her how much I was enjoying it, especially as a someone married for 17 years! I told her I would share her amazing ideas, but not right away (partially because my husband reads all my blog entries and I didn't want to ruin the surprise!) And for the record, he was very happy with the gift.. I even let him open January's envelope and we're lookng forward to going to dinner and the movies next month! I am super excited about June's date... it's something we have never done before! Thank you, again, Camille!

Next up is New Year's Eve! I am always excited about New Year's Eve/Day. For me, it feels like a fresh slate, a new start. It helps that it's officially vacation-planning month (although I already have my vacation requests turned in... lol!). I like that I get to reflect on the past year, and make plans for the upcoming year, even though I kinda started that before Christmas! We are going to a party and I'm bringing cake! I am taking Friday off as a personal day, so I get to enjoy two four-day weekends!

Okay, so let's talk cake! As I mentioned, December was pretty busy for me, on top of preparing for Christmas, but it was well worth it! I started the month preparing for Elmo!

 
This vanilla, two-layer cake with vanilla buttercream was a delight to make, because I was able to play with M&Ms! I've made a cake similar to this before, so making Elmo's face was easier the second time around.


 
 
I hemmed and hawed about this cake for two weeks before making it... I was asked to make a Superman cake, and I really wanted to make a fondant figurine of Superman, but with a second cake due the same weekend, I knew I was crunched for time. I saw cakes on Pinterest with the cape, and wasn't convinced this was the way to go until my husband suggested it. And that logo? Yep, my husband made that! He did an amazing job, didn't he? I couldn't have made it that well! Another two layer vanilla cake, but with almond buttercream. And the little superhero recipient was thrilled! He LOVED the cape!
 


 
 
I made this adorable Santa cake for my husband's family's Christmas dinner. I tried a new recipe for frosting, which included sour cream. I can't say I was overall impressed with the taste, I really do think it was overly sweet. But hey, we have to try new things sometimes, right? This was a two-layer chocolate cake with sour cream vanilla icing. The face just blows me away, it's too cute!
 

 
 
So the story with these cupcakes is this: My husband always tells me how awesome I am and sometimes, I just have to prove him right... lol!!! His work was having a Christmas potluck and over dinner the night before (nothing like the last minute!!), he told me that he wasn't participating. I asked why, and he said because he didn't have anything to bring. I couldn't help but be slightly irritated at the look he gave me when he said it because it's not MY potluck, why am I expected to make something for him, right? But, he didn't know that that cupcakes I baked before that conversation were in part for him to bring to the potluck, I had already planned it this way. Next year, honey, you are on your own.. love ya!
 
So I piped buttercream on them and put some Christmassy (is that a word?) sprinkles on top and stuck them in the freezer. He just assumed they were for our youngest son to take to school for his Christmas party. In reality, the other half of the cupcakes for Caleb's class weren't even decorated yet.
 
So I messaged him from work the next morning and told him that the iced cupcakes in the freezer were for his potluck. He was blown away, and extremely thankful. :D
 
 
 
 
 
Not wanting my son to bring in exactly the same cupcakes, I changed up the colouring and decorations on the cupcakes. This colour scheme, light blue and purple, always remind me of winter, and with the popularity of Frozen, it kinda jives with the movie. One of Caleb's classmates told him she didn't want one, until he mentioned they were "Frozen cupcakes", and she immediately scooped one up, lol!
 
So that was the month of December for cakes in my little corner of the world. I meant to update the blog, several times, over the month but there just wasn't any time. One of my resolutions is to post more frequently this year... I need to make the time because I love to share my creations!
 
January already has a couple of orders on the horizon, and I am super excited!
 
And with that, I am signing off for the year... I'll be back next weekend to share my creation for the New Year's party with you all.. it'll be a surprise even for me, since I have no clue what to make yet!
 
Wishing you and your family all the very best for 2015, stay safe and as always, stay sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment