Sunday, October 13, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hope you have your stretchy pants handy this weekend, I know my husband does lol!

So, I wanted to share the recipe for the cherry pie I just made, since the recipe was shared so freely with me!



For the record, I hate my pie plate, but before this recipe, I never considered buying a better one ;)

The Pastry (makes top and bottom)

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 baking powder
1/3 cup COLD water

I've made pie pastry before so I didn't ask for specific instructions on getting it ready for the pie plate. I just mixed it all together, divided it in half, and refrigerated one half. I rolled out the first half between two sheets of parchment paper until I was satisfied with the size and thickness. Then I pressed it into the pan.

I filled it (recipe below), and then rolled out the second half. I cut it into one-inch strips with a pizza cutter, and followed the directions here. It looks complicated but I promise you it isn't. If I can do it, anyone can do it!

I trimmed and pinched the edges as best I could with my crappy pie plate... lol! Then I baked it in a preheated oven at 450°F for ten minutes. Then I reduced the temperature to 350°F and continued to bake it for 30 minutes. YUM!

Pie Filling

2 cans cherry pie filling (any brand)
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (I only sprinkled some in, I didn't measure)
1/2 - 3/4 cup flour

Top and bake as directed above. Cool and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving and, as always, stay sweet!


 



No comments:

Post a Comment